Sunday, April 24, 2011

Mosquito Breeding Grounds






I remember the time when we first moved into our neighbourhood 2 years ago in July 2009. At that time, there was relatively not many mosquitoes.  Then came the earthworks which commenced somewhere around the end of 2009 and beginning of 2010 to prevent mudslides from flowing down the road into our neighbourhood housing area below (D'Villa vicinity).

Since the construction of the retention ponds to prevent mudlfows whenever it rains heavily, our neighbourhood has been besiged by the relentless growth & multiplication of mosquitoes. I believe the retention pond in the construction site at the hillside next to our neighbourhood (pls. see photo above marked in red) has caused the mosquitoes numbers to multiply many many fold. This is causing worries & anxieties to many of us about the spread of Aedes mosquitoes.

Maybe someone need to complain to the local authorites (MBPJ) Health Division about this nuiisance mosquito breeding ground to arrest and contain this health menace!

2 comments:

Andrea Tan said...

We were informed by a doctor in this area that there has been several dengue cases reported at his clinic recently. What you posted is exactly true, there has been a lot of aedes mosquitoes lately, even in my house. As I have 2 infants at home, we are taking extra precaution and hope our neighbours do too. Thanks for highlighting and please take care.

Steven She said...

IThanks for your comments Andrea. I'm fortunate to have installed mosquitoe insect screens for my whole house before moving in. Even then , I feel unsafe to be standing outside my house for too long for fear of being bitten by the Aedes mosquitoes. I guess it would be wise to install those mosquito insect screens for the whole house if one is able to afford it. Somehow lately, I feel that there has been a slight decrease in the mosquitoes in our area as compared to last year. If there are any issues any of u would like me to publish for the benefit of our community, please feel free to email me. Please do take care of your family especially your 2 young children too :)